I am a skilled technology professional with extensive experience as a Unix systems administrator, database designer, application architect and software programmer. Whenever possible, I attempt to tackle real-world problems through the implementation of open source technologies.
Principal Site Reliability Engineer
Senior MySQL DBA/Graph Database Architect
- Designed and deployed Oracle MySQL InnoDB Cluster supporting multiple areas of Evidence.com
- Applications and Environments: CentOS, Puppet, Git, MySQL, ProxySQL, Elasticsearch, Kubernetes, Rancher, Python, Azure, AWS, Active Directory, SQL Server, Terraform, Kafka, SaltStack
Nov 2011-Jan 2018
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation
University of Washington
Assistant Director | HPC Infrastructure
- Managed team of System Administrators and Engineers working in DevOps/HPC
- Responsible for budgeting and strategic planning for multi-Datacenter compute environment
- Subject Matter Expert for MySQL/MemSQL/InfiniDB relational databases
UNIX Administrator | High Performance Computing(HPC)
- Manages 11,000 core HPC cluster environment
- Specializes in virtualized environments supporting research and enterprise business needs
- Supports 56GbE, 10GbE, Infiniband and Fibre Channel SAN environments with Mellanox, Juniper and QLogic fabrics
- Applications and Environments: RHEL, Ubuntu Server, Active Directory, Puppet, Cobbler, Quantum StorNext, Univa GridEngine, Python, VMware vSphere, Apache Tomcat, Zen Load Balancer, ownCloud, Percona Enterprise MySQL, MongoDB, Drupal, Apache (Tomcat, HTTPD, Solr), Mediawiki, Sphinx Search Server
Aug 2009-Nov 2011
ITS - Technical Services and Operations
- Managed multiple VMware vCenter clusters for high availability services and applications supporting hospitals
- Applications and Environments: Apache Tomcat, CFEngine, AIX, Tru64 UNIX, RHEL, NetApp NAS, VMWare vCenter/ESXi/vSphere
- Designed technical architecture of mail handling infrastructure and implemented using Postfix and HA RedHat Enterprise Linux blade and virtual servers
- Administers Enterprise managed file transfer (MFT) services supporting critical patient care and billing applications
Dec 2005-Jun 2010
University of Washington
Resource Facility for Population Kinetics
Web Services Manager
- Managed high performance Linux compute cluster (Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, PVM, OpenMP, C++)
- Lead the software development team in the development and ongoing operation of the System for Population Kinetics -- a web service specializing in nonlinear mixed-effects modeling applied to Pharmacokinetics analysis.
- Designed and developed the System for Global Identifiability (SGID), a computational web service for determining covariate relevance. (PHP, MySQL, C++, XML, Singular)
- Administered Windows and Linux-based network of desktops, servers and workstations (SAMBA, CIFS, DHCP, NFS, Subversion, CVS, IPCop, managed GigE switches)
- Designed and developed workshop registration, account request and administration web applications using LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Perl, XML, XHTML) technologies.
Jun 2002-Dec 2005
Senior Internet Engineer
- Administered Solaris and Red Hat Enterprise Linux servers
- Developed multi-tiered application software supporting NWsource and NWclassifieds using ColdFusion (CFML), Oracle 9i, PL/SQL, XML, and SOAP
- Performed benchmarking and load tests against production servers and managed the performance tuning of all New Media servers.
- Designed and wrote ad capping/rate limiting software add-on for RealMedia Open Ad Server (OAS) which was deployed across the Seattle Times Network
- Developed real-time payment web service client using SOAP and XML for processing and authorizing credit card transactions
Sept 2000-Jul 2002
Hanrick Associates Inc.
- Developed strategic technical implementation and work plans for software developers based on client consultations
- Managed company-wide information technology infrastructure ranging from Unix (FreeBSD and Linux) and Windows 2000 servers, PBX systems, premise wiring, networking equipment, SSO network access, troubleshooting, and problem solving
- Developed internal and client-driven software using Active Server Pages (ASP), ColdFusion (CFML), Perl, Oracle PL/SQL, TransactSQL, and Java Server Pages (JSP)
- Led software integration of Siebel eAuction Dynamic pricing Toolkit software for an enterprise-class auction site (JRun, eAuction, Oracle 8i, Sun Enterprise Sparc servers)
- Produced, shot and edited corporate promotional videos
Jun 1996-Sept 2000
W3 Internet Services Ltd.
Network Operations Manager (1997-2000)
- Handled company-wide technology evaluations, procurement and purchases
- Served as Chief Technology Officer for W3Planet.com, Hong Kong
- Maintained heterogenous networks of Windows, UNIX servers and workstations
- Designed technical architecture for software projects undertaken by the company (data modeling, database design, project management and programming).
- Led a team of three system administrators managing Unix and Windows NT servers and services (Bind DNS, Sendmail, Sybase, Majordomo, Mailman, SAMBA, ColdFusion, MS SQL Server, etc.)
- Managed the help desk team, responsible for ongoing network performance, reliability, and design of TCP/IP services using Cisco routers, Nortel switches and various other internetworking equipment.
- Assisted the programming team and developed database/web interactivity using CGI, Perl, PHP, ColdFusion and Active Server pages (ASP)
Web Applications Designer/Programmer (1996-1997)
- Responsible for database modeling and implementation using miniSQL, Microsoft SQL Server and Access 97
- Consulted with clients regarding network implementations and web application design
- Programmed custom designed software for database and web interactivity using CGI, Perl, Sybase and miniSQL
Mar 1999-Dec 2006
Test Development Contractor
- Developed the "PHP Programming" certification test.
- Validated all questions in the "Coldfusion Programming" certification test.
- Evaluated test items for the "Internet Industry Fundamentals" certification test.
- Verified blueprints and accuracy for the "Internet Concepts" college-level certification and "Internet Research and Evaluation" business certification tests.
Sept 1996-Jun 1997
Synchronicity Computer Network Consultants
Systems and Network Manager
- Configured ISDN connectivity using Ascend routers
- Managed DNS and other critical network services in a Windows NT 4.0 Server environment
SKILLS, TECHNOLOGIES & PROJECTS
- Unix (BSD, Linux, Solaris, AIX, MacOS X), Windows
- Storage: SAN fabrics, Quantum StorNext, Mellanox Infiniband
- Programming: PHP, Python, Shell, Perl, Puppet, CFML, JSP, XHTML, CSS, C, C++, Java, Akamai EdgeSuite
- Databases: Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL including Transact-SQL, PL/SQL, LDAP (OpenLDAP, Active Directory)
- Services: BIND, Sendmail, Postfix, Kerberos 5, Apache HTTP, Tomcat, JRun, ColdFusion Server, UltraSeek, Zenoss, NOCOL, SNIPS, Nagios, Dell OpenManage, HP SIM, MRTG, SNMP, Firewalls (IPCop, iptables, rsfw)
EDUCATION & INTERESTS
- Bachelor of Science: Advanced Major (2000), Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
- I am a filmmaker having completed four feature-length documentaries since 2004.
- Photography -- still and motion picture is a passion.
- In my free time, I enjoy running, cycling, curling, ultimate frisbee or making music.
- "What It Takes" (2006) imdb - Cinematographer, Editor
- "Zoot Sports Salute to Luke Bell 2006" (2006) Zoot Sports (web commercial), Editor
- "Mifos" (2007) (corporate) Grameen Foundation, Editor
- "Showdown" (2007) - Cinematographer, Editor
- "Brooks I.D. Program" (2008) Brooks Running, Director of Photography, Editor
- "Testimony" (2008) - Cinematographer, Editor
- "Panhandler" (2008) - Cinematographer, Asst. Editor
- "Saint Ives" (2008) Hydrochloric Candy - 2nd Unit DP, Gaffer
- Discovery Channel - "American Wasteland" (2009) - Camera operator
References available upon request.
HTML version | E-mailable HTML version | Plain Text (.txt) version. Valid XHTML 1.1 / CSS 2.0
Leave a comment